Bosley Re​view


A non-profit website for consumers

Articles and Research


The risk of long term nerve damage leading to chronic numbness and/or pain in the donor area is significantly reduced with FUE vs the strip (FUT) procedure. 

The merit of strip harvest lies in the maximum amount of follicular unit harvest, minimizing the amount of hair follicle transection and producing a single scar.

There is another reason why it is more rare for women to get hair transplants and that goes back to how male and female pattern hair loss present differently in each gender.

HT Surgery - Drawbacks

To many men who have gone through hair transplant it evokes thoughts of disappointment and frustration. Why? Not achieving the results they wanted. Expensive repeat sessions. Continued loss of hair that they invested so much money to have implanted.

This can lead to complications as patients will end up with a bald patch in the mid sections behind their hairline or if they have the crown done will end up losing hair around the outside leaving the transplanted hair stranded.

Irrespective of whether scoring was performed by manual, motorized, or robotic punches, the risk of a clinically apparent depletion of hair from the donor region because of aggressive and nonuniform harvesting is observed. This may create an iatrogenic “moth-eaten” appearance.

HT Surgery - Graft Survival 

At the end of 4-year follow-up post surgery, only 8.92% of subjects had retained the same density of transplanted hairs, and the rest (91.08%) had various grades of reduction in the density of transplanted hairs.

If patient #1, the “outlier” with the 33% FUE survival, is dropped, the other three patients had a 70.1% survival rate of FUE follicles and 86.9% survival rate for FUT-MD ones.

Stem Cell Therapy / Medical Advances

A stem cell hair transplant removes a small skin sample from which hair follicles are harvested. The follicles are then replicated in a lab and implanted back into the scalp.

The RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research used stem cells and a specific culture mechanism to create hair follicles that can recycle hair just like natural follicles.

European companies are hot on the case and are getting tantalizingly close to the breakthrough that many patients hope for.

In anticipation of the outcome of that study, they are already offering a treatment to deep-freeze 100 healthy hair follicles for future use after the study has been successfully completed.

Cloning, robots, mRNA technology, and suped-up laser caps all show promise. Whatever technologies may come, patients will likely mix and match them to find their perfect regime. That means hair rejuvenation may end up looking like something out of a sci-fi movie.

When using any topical products or taking oral medications, there may be side effects or possible interactions. If you are concerned about certain side effects or want to know if you can take a hair loss medication with other drugs, consult your doctor or pharmacist.

Rogaine may not work for everyone and works only for certain causes of baldness. It delivers the best results when you keep up with applications and use as directed.

Dutasteride was found to be 3 times more potent than finasteride at inhibiting 5AR type II and 100 times better at inhibiting 5AR type I.

The ISHRS believes the following aspects of hair restoration surgery should only be performed by a licensed physician: Preoperative diagnostic evaluation and consultation...